Monday, May 11, 2009

Some progress on Alberta OSCAR

I haven't updated in a while.  To date, my developer, Aart has been very busy and has visited both Vancouver and Toronto to learn more about OSCAR development procedures and to get welcomed into the developers community.

I now have a key fob and password to test our Alberta Billing Module on Alberta Health Service's test server - and we're going to see if we can't get something going over the next month.

The billing interface will be common to all Provincial billing interfaces across Canada - as we would like to not redundantly reinvent the proverbial wheel.

On the practical side of things, I am going to get a 15' Macbook Pro and install Parallels on it with Windows XP to run Dragon's Natrually Speaking speech recognition software.  I'm going to use a Plantronics Blu-tooth  wireless microphone to dictate - directly into the fields of the firefox browser that I'm also going go run on the Parallels-nested Windows installation.

Why Windows?  Well -the only reason is because it is the only OS for which Dragon's mature software is available.  Once it is available in its full form for Mac OS - I'm going to have a little burning party to burn any and all of my Windows OS CD ROM's!

Hopefully, it won't be long.

I now have two mirrored servers that run Solid State 32 Gb hard drives and which consume only about 6 watts of power!  These servers are deadly silent, deadly cool an deadly fast!

The investment in the new intel Solid state x-25 drives was expensive - but absolutely worth it!

I'm planning on being able to use an "Alberta Version" of OSCAR at the Family Medicine Forum in October.....the pressure is on!

To date, my "free open source software experience" has cost about $10,000.  Good thing I don't have any other expensive vices!

JF

No comments:

Post a Comment