Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Roadmap to getting OSCAR going

I've learned the real secret in getting OSCAR going in Alberta:

It's all about establishing relationships.

I've decided that it is not enough to simply install OSCAR in my office on a single computer.  What I really want is an established hardware/network/software support foundation to not only help me get OSCAR going - but to help others get it going in Alberta that come after me.

And so, I'm going to try out a well established company called Layer 10 in Calgary that provides hardware and network installation and support.  They understand the concepts of redundant backups, RAID configurations, redundant servers and remote access.

This is mission critical work, and no amount of possible "down time" will be in any way ever acceptable - even if the power goes off.

I'm currently awaiting a quote on a couple of mirrored IBM servers from Layer 10, and will go forward probably some time next week (depending on the price).  Linux Ubuntu will be supplied and running on the servers by the Layer 10 folks.  

The next step will be to become an accredited submitter to Alberta Health.  This involves some paperwork that I have to fill out and fax back next week.

The next step after that will be to fill out some paperwork to get the Calgary Health Region to port HL7 data into OSCAR.  To access this, I have to fill out some other application forms - which I will do next week as well.

Did I mention that since I started this crusade, the Calgary Health Region has ceased to exist?  Some "progressive politics" in Alberta has decided to do away with regions in favor of a more streamlined Provincial Medical Administration.  Probably a great idea, but dealing with the Region is now even more confusing than it was before this new change.....

I THEN have to eventually ensure that OSCAR becomes "VCUR compatible", so that POSP funding will eventually be able to support it.  

Some very decent and generous people that I have met through the BC OSCAR users group have offered to help me get an Alberta Billing module and Calgary Lab Services module built for Alberta.  Hopefully, because a lot of groundwork for Ontario and B.C. has already been done; this will not be too much of a task - but I anticipate a few road bumps.

I have received the "H-Link" manual from Alberta Health.  It was last published in the Cretaceous era, and has not been updated in a paper version since.  An updated electronic version does exist, but Alberta Health is apparently unsuccessful in emailing the large document.  I've scanned the whole "older document" and have posted it on the site above.

So - practical things first in the next orders of business:

1)  Get my server(s) (Layer 10 folks to help) and then install OSCAR on it (kind list folks to help).
2)  Get my network going (wireless and wired.  Layer 10 folks to help).
3)  Become an accredited Submitter for Alberta Health (paperwork needed)
4)  Become an accredited Receiver for Calgary Lab Services (paperwork needed)
5)  Get OSCAR VCUR compliant to eventually qualify for POSP funding (a long-term goal)
6)  Get an Alberta Billing and Labs Module set up
7)  Get a scanning section of OSCAR going so I can eventually be "truly paperless".
8)  Talk to Radiology Consultants to get their techies to help me integrate a connection from OSCAR to view Diagnostic images and reports (Region Wide).
9)  Learn as much as I can about Linux Ubuntu and Java programming.  Bought some books on this stuff - this looks like a good choice.....


No comments:

Post a Comment